- The name of the Society shall be ‘The Friends of the Congregational Library’.
- The objects of the Society shall be:
(i) to promote the Congregational Library and its activities;
(ii) to encourage the widest possible use of the Library;
(iii) to raise funds for the Library;
(iv) to encourage practical support for the Library through help in maintaining it.
- The affairs of the Society shall be managed by a Committee comprising four members nominated by the Library Sub-committee of the Congregational Memorial Hall Trust and confirmed at the AGM of the Society; the Chair of the Library Sub-committee who shall serve ex officio if not otherwise a member; and five members (to serve four-year terms) elected by the AGM of the Society. The Chair, Secretary, Treasurer and Editor of the Newsletter and any other Officers shall be elected at the AGM to serve for three-year terms of office. Each Officer may be renominated to serve for a second and final three-year term. The Librarian of the Congregational Library shall be an ex officio member of the Committee. Other members may be co-opted by the Committee subject to approval at the following AGM. The members of the Committee and the accounts of the Society shall be reported annually to the Congregational Memorial Hall Trust for ratification.
- The Committee may nominate for election at the AGM a President and such Vice Presidents as they may judge necessary. The President and Vice Presidents shall be elected annually.
- Membership of the Society shall be by the payment of an annual subscription or by Life Membership, the amounts to be agreed by the AGM.
- Independently examined annual accounts shall be presented at the AGM of the Society for the approval of members present
- Any change to these rules shall be made only at the AGM of the Society provided notice three weeks before is given.
- A special general meeting may be called by the Committee or by twelve subscribing members giving three weeks written notice to the Secretary.
- In the event of the Society’s closure any assets remaining will be made over to the Congregational Memorial Hall Trust.
- If any member, being liable to pay an annual subscription, shall fail to pay that subscription during two consecutive membership years, then his/her membership shall automatically lapse at the end of the second membership year. Such membership may then be reinstated, normally after payment of all arrears in full, plus the current annual subscription.
Revised February 2006 and January 2013